Welcome to my Blog!


I am so glad you stopped by. A couple of months ago I saw the movie Julie & Julia, where a young woman decides to take a year and make every recipe in Julia Child's French Cookbook. I enjoyed the movie very much and became intrigued. Maybe I could do something like that, so, I got out my barely used, 13 year old, Better Homes Cookbook and started flipping through. Thus began my cooking experiment.

Cooking is something I have always hated to do, it was a chore for me, not a pleasure. I am not a professional cook, and never will be, but the movie ignited a spark in me and revealed a new discovery, cooking can be fun!

I am learning that with patience, motivation, and good recipes anyone can be a good cook. Believe me, if I can do it, so can you! I hope you will experiment along with me and let me know what you think of the recipes I share.

I will post each new recipe I try along with a picture (I can't stand cookbooks that don't include pictures!) so you can see the final product. I will also share tips that I have learned along the way. For you seasoned chefs, the tips may seem like common sense, but for those of us who are dummies in the kitchen, they are epiphanies.

Happy Cooking!

Nancy

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cheesy Chicken Quesadillas and Spanish Rice

I have been on a Mexican food kick lately.  This was a delicious meal and really very easy.  I got the refried beans out of a can, but to make them from scratch, you can just cook Pinto beans until they are the right consistency.  I didn't have time for that. 

Cheesy Chicken Quesadillas

Ingredients:

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
1/2 (10.75 ounce) can Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 red onion diced
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes drained
1 tbsp lime juice
fresh parsley minced
fresh cilantro minced
salt
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 teaspoon chili powder
8 flour tortillas (8-inch), warmed

Directions:

1. Heat the oven to 425*

2. Boil the chicken for one hour.  Pull chicken apart into fine strips. Place chicken in a nonstick skillet.  Stir in the soup, onion, tomatoes, lime juice, parsley, cilantro, cheese and chili powder and cook over medium heat until the mixture is hot and bubbling.

3. Place the tortillas onto 2 baking sheets.  Spray outside with olive oil.  Spread about 1/3 cup chicken mixture on half of each tortilla to within 1/2-inch of the edge. Brush the edges of the tortillas with water. Fold the tortillas over the filling and press the edges to seal.

4. Bake for 10 minutes or until the filling is hot and the tortillas are crispy. Serve with additional filling, salsa, or sour cream.

Spanish Rice:

Ingredients:


2 tablespoons olive oil (can use up to 1/4 cup)
1 onion, chopped fine
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups of medium or long-grain white rice
3 cups* chicken stock (or vegetable stock if vegetarian)
1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste or 1 cup of diced fresh or cooked tomatoes, strained
Pinch of oregano
1 teaspoon salt

*Check the instructions on the rice package for the proportions of liquid to rice. They can range from 1:1 to 2:1. If your rice calls for 2 cups of water for every cup of rice, then for this recipe, use 4 cups of stock for 2 cups of rice.


Directions:

1 In a large skillet brown rice in olive oil, medium/high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook onion rice mixture, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes, or until onions are softened.

2 In a separate sauce pan bring stock to a simmer. Add tomato sauce, oregano, and salt. Add rice to broth. Bring to a simmer. Cover. Lower heat and cook 15-25 minutes, depending on the type of rice and the instructions on the rice package. Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes.

http://simplyrecipes.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:


None of the recipes posted on this site are mine, they are all taken from other sources, or given to me to try. I am not nearly creative enough or good enough in the kitchen to have come up with any of them.

I also cannot promise that any of these recipes are going to turn out good, or taste good for that matter, so you try them at your own risk.

Enjoy!!! Nancy
SmileyCentral.com