Welcome to my Blog!


I am so glad you stopped by. A couple of months ago I saw the movie Julie & Julia, where a young woman decides to take a year and make every recipe in Julia Child's French Cookbook. I enjoyed the movie very much and became intrigued. Maybe I could do something like that, so, I got out my barely used, 13 year old, Better Homes Cookbook and started flipping through. Thus began my cooking experiment.

Cooking is something I have always hated to do, it was a chore for me, not a pleasure. I am not a professional cook, and never will be, but the movie ignited a spark in me and revealed a new discovery, cooking can be fun!

I am learning that with patience, motivation, and good recipes anyone can be a good cook. Believe me, if I can do it, so can you! I hope you will experiment along with me and let me know what you think of the recipes I share.

I will post each new recipe I try along with a picture (I can't stand cookbooks that don't include pictures!) so you can see the final product. I will also share tips that I have learned along the way. For you seasoned chefs, the tips may seem like common sense, but for those of us who are dummies in the kitchen, they are epiphanies.

Happy Cooking!

Nancy

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pork Chops with Apples and Stuffing



This was a wonderful Fall recipe that received 5 stars on the Taste of Home website.

As you may have noticed, I have started getting more creative as I am learning to cook and am now able to substitute when I am missing an ingredient.  With this dish, I had no apple pie filling, so I made my own.  It turned out great and had a wonderful flavor.  I loved the sweet with the pork and stuffing.  A definite must try!

Ingredients:

6 boneless pork loin chops (1-inch thick and 4 ounces each)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 package (6 ounces) crushed stuffing mix
1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling with cinnamon or:
3 medium apples cored and chopped.
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup raisins
1/2 + 1/4 cup water
2 tbsp corn starch

Directions:

In a saucepan, prepare apples. over medium heat cook apples, sugars, raisins, and 1/2 cup water until apples are very soft (simmer about 45 minutes, stirring every 10). In a measuring cup mix 2 tbsp corn starch with 1/4 water; add to apple mixture. Stir and cook until mixture gets thick, pie filling consistency.

In a large skillet, brown pork chops in oil over medium-high heat.

Meanwhile, prepare stuffing according to package directions.

Spread apple pie filling into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place the pork chops on top; spoon stuffing over chops.

Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.

Yield: 6 servings.

www.tasteofhome.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:


None of the recipes posted on this site are mine, they are all taken from other sources, or given to me to try. I am not nearly creative enough or good enough in the kitchen to have come up with any of them.

I also cannot promise that any of these recipes are going to turn out good, or taste good for that matter, so you try them at your own risk.

Enjoy!!! Nancy
SmileyCentral.com