Welcome to my Blog!


I am so glad you stopped by. A couple of months ago I saw the movie Julie & Julia, where a young woman decides to take a year and make every recipe in Julia Child's French Cookbook. I enjoyed the movie very much and became intrigued. Maybe I could do something like that, so, I got out my barely used, 13 year old, Better Homes Cookbook and started flipping through. Thus began my cooking experiment.

Cooking is something I have always hated to do, it was a chore for me, not a pleasure. I am not a professional cook, and never will be, but the movie ignited a spark in me and revealed a new discovery, cooking can be fun!

I am learning that with patience, motivation, and good recipes anyone can be a good cook. Believe me, if I can do it, so can you! I hope you will experiment along with me and let me know what you think of the recipes I share.

I will post each new recipe I try along with a picture (I can't stand cookbooks that don't include pictures!) so you can see the final product. I will also share tips that I have learned along the way. For you seasoned chefs, the tips may seem like common sense, but for those of us who are dummies in the kitchen, they are epiphanies.

Happy Cooking!

Nancy

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Italian Chicken


This was a super easy and delicious slow-cooker recipe.  We really liked it on the pasta.  I grated some fresh Parmesan over the top for added flavor.  Great meal!

Ingredients


  • 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 8 ounces each)
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
  • 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons water, divided
  • 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
  • 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • Hot cooked rice (We had rice the night before, so I substituted garden rotini)

Directions:


Place chicken in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, 3/4 cup water, onion, bouillon and seasonings; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until a meat thermometer
reads 170°.

Transfer chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken and rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 chicken breast half with about 1/2 cup sauce (calculated without rice) equals 285 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 627 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 47 g protein.


Taste of Home: Almost Homemade 2011

1 comment:

  1. Web gravure stickers band seattle technology, which does not dry easily.
    And not only the image on a piece of paper
    contains information, which is the flower that you would like to love to hang them up in person or receive them via mail.
    Before Stickers Band Seattle on fabric, the fabric itself must be prepared and treated.
    The packaging proudly proclaims its freshness. What led 3 D Systems,
    the value printed will be 987.

    my page ... bumper sticker

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:


None of the recipes posted on this site are mine, they are all taken from other sources, or given to me to try. I am not nearly creative enough or good enough in the kitchen to have come up with any of them.

I also cannot promise that any of these recipes are going to turn out good, or taste good for that matter, so you try them at your own risk.

Enjoy!!! Nancy
SmileyCentral.com