Welcome to my Blog!


I am so glad you stopped by. A couple of months ago I saw the movie Julie & Julia, where a young woman decides to take a year and make every recipe in Julia Child's French Cookbook. I enjoyed the movie very much and became intrigued. Maybe I could do something like that, so, I got out my barely used, 13 year old, Better Homes Cookbook and started flipping through. Thus began my cooking experiment.

Cooking is something I have always hated to do, it was a chore for me, not a pleasure. I am not a professional cook, and never will be, but the movie ignited a spark in me and revealed a new discovery, cooking can be fun!

I am learning that with patience, motivation, and good recipes anyone can be a good cook. Believe me, if I can do it, so can you! I hope you will experiment along with me and let me know what you think of the recipes I share.

I will post each new recipe I try along with a picture (I can't stand cookbooks that don't include pictures!) so you can see the final product. I will also share tips that I have learned along the way. For you seasoned chefs, the tips may seem like common sense, but for those of us who are dummies in the kitchen, they are epiphanies.

Happy Cooking!

Nancy

Monday, March 22, 2010

Cheesy Sausage Stromboli

This was absolutely delicious! I used ground pork instead of sausage and sauteed onion and garlic with the pork to add flavor. I also cut the recipe in half and we still got two meals out of it. It is an easy recipe to make, but is time consuming because of the rising. Well worth the wait!

16 Servings
Prep: 30 min. + rising
Bake: 20 min.

Ingredients:

5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
1/2 cup warm milk (120° to 130°)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 pounds bulk pork sausage
4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
3 eggs
1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Add water,
milk and butter; beat on low until well combined.

Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic,
about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease
top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain and
cool. Stir in mozzarella, 2 eggs and basil; set aside.

Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll one portion into a 15-in. x
10-in. rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Spoon half of the sausage mixture lengthwise down one side of rectangle to within 1 in. of edges.

Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal. Cut four diagonal slits
on top of stromboli. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Beat
remaining egg; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Slice;
serve warm.

Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 370 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 702 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.



Taste of Home: Winning Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:


None of the recipes posted on this site are mine, they are all taken from other sources, or given to me to try. I am not nearly creative enough or good enough in the kitchen to have come up with any of them.

I also cannot promise that any of these recipes are going to turn out good, or taste good for that matter, so you try them at your own risk.

Enjoy!!! Nancy
SmileyCentral.com