Welcome to my Blog!


I am so glad you stopped by. A couple of months ago I saw the movie Julie & Julia, where a young woman decides to take a year and make every recipe in Julia Child's French Cookbook. I enjoyed the movie very much and became intrigued. Maybe I could do something like that, so, I got out my barely used, 13 year old, Better Homes Cookbook and started flipping through. Thus began my cooking experiment.

Cooking is something I have always hated to do, it was a chore for me, not a pleasure. I am not a professional cook, and never will be, but the movie ignited a spark in me and revealed a new discovery, cooking can be fun!

I am learning that with patience, motivation, and good recipes anyone can be a good cook. Believe me, if I can do it, so can you! I hope you will experiment along with me and let me know what you think of the recipes I share.

I will post each new recipe I try along with a picture (I can't stand cookbooks that don't include pictures!) so you can see the final product. I will also share tips that I have learned along the way. For you seasoned chefs, the tips may seem like common sense, but for those of us who are dummies in the kitchen, they are epiphanies.

Happy Cooking!

Nancy

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Two New Recipes



Honey Rosemary Chicken
Prep: 5 min. + marinating Bake: 55 min.

This is a different marinade to try with chicken.  I thoroughly enjoyed it as something new.  I used boneless skinless breasts and doubled the marinade recipe.  The single recipe didn't seem like enough to cover the chicken while marinating.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup minced fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons Pure Olive Oil
6 bone-in skinless chicken breast halves (7 ounces each)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

In a small bowl, combine the honey, vinegar, rosemary and oil. Pour
half of the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the
chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2 hours. Cover
and refrigerate for 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.

Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Place chicken bone side down
in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake,
uncovered, at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a meat thermometer
reaches 170°, basting occasionally with reserved marinade.

Yield: 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 each) equals 200 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 462 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 very lean meat,

Apple-a-Day Casserole
6-8 Servings
Prep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.

This is a nice side that is different than our normal sides.  It was an interesting and enjoyable combination with the carrots and apples.

Ingredients:

6 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
6 medium carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons cold butter

Directions:

Combine apples and carrots; place in a greased shallow 2-qt. baking
dish. Drizzle with orange juice. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender.

In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and nutmeg; cut in butter until
crumbly. Sprinkle over apple mixture. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes
longer or until the carrots are tender.

Yield: 6-8 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 150 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 45 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein.

Taste of Home: Winning Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:


None of the recipes posted on this site are mine, they are all taken from other sources, or given to me to try. I am not nearly creative enough or good enough in the kitchen to have come up with any of them.

I also cannot promise that any of these recipes are going to turn out good, or taste good for that matter, so you try them at your own risk.

Enjoy!!! Nancy
SmileyCentral.com