Welcome to my Blog!


I am so glad you stopped by. A couple of months ago I saw the movie Julie & Julia, where a young woman decides to take a year and make every recipe in Julia Child's French Cookbook. I enjoyed the movie very much and became intrigued. Maybe I could do something like that, so, I got out my barely used, 13 year old, Better Homes Cookbook and started flipping through. Thus began my cooking experiment.

Cooking is something I have always hated to do, it was a chore for me, not a pleasure. I am not a professional cook, and never will be, but the movie ignited a spark in me and revealed a new discovery, cooking can be fun!

I am learning that with patience, motivation, and good recipes anyone can be a good cook. Believe me, if I can do it, so can you! I hope you will experiment along with me and let me know what you think of the recipes I share.

I will post each new recipe I try along with a picture (I can't stand cookbooks that don't include pictures!) so you can see the final product. I will also share tips that I have learned along the way. For you seasoned chefs, the tips may seem like common sense, but for those of us who are dummies in the kitchen, they are epiphanies.

Happy Cooking!

Nancy

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Classic French Bread

This was delicious!!! I only made one large french bread. I did not have baking stones, but the bread baked fine. I increased the cook time to 35 minutes. It is a long process, but SO worth it!


Dough

1 cup warm water (105*F to 115*F)
1 envelope dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
2 cups bread flour
3/4 cups all purpose flour

Processor Method:

Measure 1 cup warm water into glass measuring cup. Sprinkle yeast and sugar over to dissolve; stir. Let stand until foamy, about 5 min.

Add vinegar to yeast mixture. Combine salt, bread flour, and 1/2 cup all purpose flour in processor fitted with steel blade. Add yeast mixture and process until sticky ball forms. If dough does not form ball, add more all purpose flour 1 tbsp at a time, incorporating each addition before adding the next. Add water 1 tsp at a time if dough is dry. Process until dough is smooth, elastic, and slightly sticky, about 45 seconds.

Coat large bowl or plastic bag with 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Add dough, turning to coat entire surface. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in warm, draft-free area until tripled in volume, about 1 1/2 hours.

Shaping and Baking:

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 tsp salt
Baking tiles or stones
4 cups boiling water

Melt butter with salt in a saucepan. Keep glaze warm.

Baguettes:

Oil or butter baguette pan. Punch down dough and knead until smooth, about 2 minutes. Divide dough in half. Roll out one half on unfloured work surface to rectangle, about 14x8 inches, oiling rolling pin if dough sticks. Starting at 1 long side, roll up dough jelly-roll style. Roll ends between palms and work surface to taper slightly. Transfer to prepared pan, seam side down. Repeat with remaining dough.

Brush butter glaze over loaves. Let loaves rise in warm, draft-free area 45 minutes. Brush with glaze again. Let loaves rise until tripled in volume, about 35 minutes longer.

Position one oven rack in bottom third and second rack in center of oven. Place 13x9x2 inch metal baking pan on bottom wrack. Place baking tiles on center rack. Preheat oven to 450*F. Brush loaves with glaze again. Using sharp knife, slash each loaf with 3 long diagonal cuts about 1/4 inch deep. Pour boiling water into baking pan in oven. Close oven 2 minutes. Place bread in pans on tiles and bake until loaves are golden brown and crisp, dry crust forms, 20 minutes. Turn out loaves onto rack and cool.

The Bon Appetit Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:


None of the recipes posted on this site are mine, they are all taken from other sources, or given to me to try. I am not nearly creative enough or good enough in the kitchen to have come up with any of them.

I also cannot promise that any of these recipes are going to turn out good, or taste good for that matter, so you try them at your own risk.

Enjoy!!! Nancy
SmileyCentral.com