Welcome to my Blog!


I am so glad you stopped by. A couple of months ago I saw the movie Julie & Julia, where a young woman decides to take a year and make every recipe in Julia Child's French Cookbook. I enjoyed the movie very much and became intrigued. Maybe I could do something like that, so, I got out my barely used, 13 year old, Better Homes Cookbook and started flipping through. Thus began my cooking experiment.

Cooking is something I have always hated to do, it was a chore for me, not a pleasure. I am not a professional cook, and never will be, but the movie ignited a spark in me and revealed a new discovery, cooking can be fun!

I am learning that with patience, motivation, and good recipes anyone can be a good cook. Believe me, if I can do it, so can you! I hope you will experiment along with me and let me know what you think of the recipes I share.

I will post each new recipe I try along with a picture (I can't stand cookbooks that don't include pictures!) so you can see the final product. I will also share tips that I have learned along the way. For you seasoned chefs, the tips may seem like common sense, but for those of us who are dummies in the kitchen, they are epiphanies.

Happy Cooking!

Nancy

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sloppy Joes on a Kaiser Bun

I decided to try making Sloppy Joes from scratch, rolls and all. It turned out really good! I cut the dough recipe in half, making 8 rolls. They tasted delicious, just like the ones I buy at the store. The Sloppy Joe meat had a really different flavor. I have always used the packet Sloppy Joe seasoning, but this was really good. It had a kick and was a little spicy. Scott liked it a lot. I guess I don't have to run to the store any time I need buns!



Kaiser Rolls
Prep: 25 min. + rising
Bake: 15 min.
16 servings

Ingredients:

2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
4 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg white
2 teaspoons cold water
Poppy and/or sesame seeds (We don't like seeds on our bread, so I left these off.)

Directions:

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, salt, remaining warm water and sugar and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Beat egg white and cold water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with poppy and/or sesame seeds. With scissors, cut a 1/4-in.-deep cross on tops of rolls.

Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 16 rolls.


Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 225 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 300 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.


If you are feeding four people or more, I would definitely suggest doubling the recipe, there were no left-overs and I often like to eat dinner left-overs for lunch.

Sloppy Joes
4 Servings
Prep/Total Time: 25 min.

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon molasses
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel, optional
4 whole wheat buns, split

Directions:

In a saucepan, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, prepared mustard, ground mustard, cloves, cayenne and orange peel if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Serve on buns.

Nutrition Facts: 1 sandwich equals 274 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 713 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 18 g protein.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:


None of the recipes posted on this site are mine, they are all taken from other sources, or given to me to try. I am not nearly creative enough or good enough in the kitchen to have come up with any of them.

I also cannot promise that any of these recipes are going to turn out good, or taste good for that matter, so you try them at your own risk.

Enjoy!!! Nancy
SmileyCentral.com