Welcome to my Blog!


I am so glad you stopped by. A couple of months ago I saw the movie Julie & Julia, where a young woman decides to take a year and make every recipe in Julia Child's French Cookbook. I enjoyed the movie very much and became intrigued. Maybe I could do something like that, so, I got out my barely used, 13 year old, Better Homes Cookbook and started flipping through. Thus began my cooking experiment.

Cooking is something I have always hated to do, it was a chore for me, not a pleasure. I am not a professional cook, and never will be, but the movie ignited a spark in me and revealed a new discovery, cooking can be fun!

I am learning that with patience, motivation, and good recipes anyone can be a good cook. Believe me, if I can do it, so can you! I hope you will experiment along with me and let me know what you think of the recipes I share.

I will post each new recipe I try along with a picture (I can't stand cookbooks that don't include pictures!) so you can see the final product. I will also share tips that I have learned along the way. For you seasoned chefs, the tips may seem like common sense, but for those of us who are dummies in the kitchen, they are epiphanies.

Happy Cooking!

Nancy

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Autumn Torte Rustica

I saw this recipe in my Taste of Home magazine and it looked so delicious, I couldn't wait to try it. It took a lot of time to make and just didn't taste as good as I expected. If you like Ricotta cheese, you would probably love this, it was just a little too ricotta-ey for our taste buds.

Ingredients:

1 small butternut squash (1 1/2 lbs), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4 inch slices
3 eggs
3 cups ricotta cheese
1 cup grated Romano cheese (I couldn't find Romano alone, so I got a mixture of Asiago, Romano, and Parmesan)
t tsp. rubbed sage
1 tsp. water
1 small onion chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (I used fresh)
2 garlic cloves minced
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed (I could not find, so I used 2 8 ounce packages of crescent rolls)

Directions:

Place squash slices on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly spritz with cooking spray. Bake at 400* for 15 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine 2 eggs, cheeses, and sage. In a small bowl, whisk the water and remaining egg, set aside.

In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the spinach, garlic, and nutmeg. Cook and stir for 2 minutes, set aside.

Unfold on pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a 14 inch square. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9 in. springform pan, allowing the excess pastry to drape over the edges. Brush with reserved egg mixture. (I made my pastry like a pie crust, circular, it seemed easier than a square.)

Layer with half the squash, cheese mixture, and spinach. Repeat layers. Roll out the remaining pastry into a 10 inch square; place over filling. Trim edges; fold the bottom pastry over the top and press edges to seal. Brush pastry with egg mixture.

Place pan on baking sheet. Back at 400* for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. (Check on it periodically. I baked mine for 40 minutes and it was dark brown, not golden when I removed it.)Remove to wire rack to cool for 45 min. Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers.

Servings: 12


Taste of Home: Halloween Party Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:


None of the recipes posted on this site are mine, they are all taken from other sources, or given to me to try. I am not nearly creative enough or good enough in the kitchen to have come up with any of them.

I also cannot promise that any of these recipes are going to turn out good, or taste good for that matter, so you try them at your own risk.

Enjoy!!! Nancy
SmileyCentral.com