Welcome to my Blog!


I am so glad you stopped by. A couple of months ago I saw the movie Julie & Julia, where a young woman decides to take a year and make every recipe in Julia Child's French Cookbook. I enjoyed the movie very much and became intrigued. Maybe I could do something like that, so, I got out my barely used, 13 year old, Better Homes Cookbook and started flipping through. Thus began my cooking experiment.

Cooking is something I have always hated to do, it was a chore for me, not a pleasure. I am not a professional cook, and never will be, but the movie ignited a spark in me and revealed a new discovery, cooking can be fun!

I am learning that with patience, motivation, and good recipes anyone can be a good cook. Believe me, if I can do it, so can you! I hope you will experiment along with me and let me know what you think of the recipes I share.

I will post each new recipe I try along with a picture (I can't stand cookbooks that don't include pictures!) so you can see the final product. I will also share tips that I have learned along the way. For you seasoned chefs, the tips may seem like common sense, but for those of us who are dummies in the kitchen, they are epiphanies.

Happy Cooking!

Nancy

Monday, October 5, 2009

Carrot Cake

I absolutely love carrot cake and had no idea it was so easy to make. This is the second carrot cake I have made. This time I used a Bundt pan instead of two pans for layering. I added pecans and some finely grated carrot for garnish. The cream cheese frosting is to die for! An excellent recipe for you carrot cake lovers!


Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups finely shredded carrots
1 cup cooking oil
4 eggs
1 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below)

Directions:
1. Grease and lightly flour two 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans or grease one 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set pan(s) aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add carrots, oil, and eggs. Beat with an electric mixer till combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan(s).

3. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes for round pans or 35 to 40 minutes for 13x9-inch pan or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool layer cakes on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks. Or, place 13x9-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. Cover and store in refrigerator. Makes 12 to 16 servings.


Cream Cheese Frosting:

2 3-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
4-1/2 to 4-3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar.

Beat together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually beat in enough of the remaining powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency.

Nutrition Facts:

Servings Per Recipe 12 to 16 servings
Calories 650, Total Fat (g) 33, Saturated Fat (g) 11, Cholesterol (mg) 107, Sodium (mg) 287, Carbohydrate (g) 89, Fiber (g) 1, Protein (g) 5, Vitamin A (DV%) 93, Vitamin C (DV%) 4, Calcium (DV%) 5, Iron (DV%) 10, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/cakes/carrot-cake/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:


None of the recipes posted on this site are mine, they are all taken from other sources, or given to me to try. I am not nearly creative enough or good enough in the kitchen to have come up with any of them.

I also cannot promise that any of these recipes are going to turn out good, or taste good for that matter, so you try them at your own risk.

Enjoy!!! Nancy
SmileyCentral.com