Welcome to my Blog!


I am so glad you stopped by. A couple of months ago I saw the movie Julie & Julia, where a young woman decides to take a year and make every recipe in Julia Child's French Cookbook. I enjoyed the movie very much and became intrigued. Maybe I could do something like that, so, I got out my barely used, 13 year old, Better Homes Cookbook and started flipping through. Thus began my cooking experiment.

Cooking is something I have always hated to do, it was a chore for me, not a pleasure. I am not a professional cook, and never will be, but the movie ignited a spark in me and revealed a new discovery, cooking can be fun!

I am learning that with patience, motivation, and good recipes anyone can be a good cook. Believe me, if I can do it, so can you! I hope you will experiment along with me and let me know what you think of the recipes I share.

I will post each new recipe I try along with a picture (I can't stand cookbooks that don't include pictures!) so you can see the final product. I will also share tips that I have learned along the way. For you seasoned chefs, the tips may seem like common sense, but for those of us who are dummies in the kitchen, they are epiphanies.

Happy Cooking!

Nancy

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Chicken Noodle Casserole




To find this recipe, I used the How to Cook Anything tool here on my blog and typed in Chicken. What is great about this tool is that you click off what ingredients you want to use and then it gives you a list of recipes that use those ingredients. You'll have to give it a try!


1 hour 10 min prep

Ingredients:

8 ounces egg noodles (I didn't have egg noodles, so I used Rotini)
1/2 cup onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic (1 clove)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb chicken, cut in bite size pieces
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup diced carrot (3 carrots)
1/2 cup diced potato (1 medium potato)
1/4 cup sliced celery (2 sticks)
1/2 teaspoon sage
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese


Directions:

1.Cook noodles according to pkg instructions. (Don't overcook, they will cook more in oven.)

2.Saute onion and garlic in oil for 1 minute.

3.Add chicken and cook and stir for 2 minutes. (I browned the chicken)

4.Add broth, carrots, potatoes, celery and sage. (Let simmer until veggies are tender)

5.Set aside.

6.In saucepan, melt butter; add flour, salt and pepper.

7.Add milk, slowly. Cook and stir 3 minutes. (Until thick and bubbly)

8.Remove from heat; add cheddar cheese, stir until smooth.

9.Mix with the chicken mixture; stir in drained noodles.

10.Place in greased 3 qt casserole. (Top with shredded cheese)

11.Bake at 375* for 50 minutes.

© 2009 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com/

As you can see, I made a few alterations. I am not good at gauging how many vegetables will make 1/2 cup, etc. I think it is much more helpful when a recipe says the amount to use like 3 carrot sticks. I hope that addition is helpful.

We really enjoyed this recipe. This is a meal in one, but for more serving appeal really needs a side. I used steamed spinach. It was nice to have the 50 minutes in the oven to clean everything up so the after-dinner clean up was minimal.


For us diabetics, another benefit to this website is that it offers the Nutrition information for the recipe, taking some of the guesswork out of figuring out carb counts.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 (394g)

Recipe makes 4 servings

Calories 736
Calories from Fat 364 (49%)
Amount Per Serving %DV
Total Fat 40.5g 62%
Saturated Fat 19.2g 96%
Monounsaturated Fat 12.6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5.8g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 172mg 57%
Sodium 593mg 24%
Potassium 674mg 19%
Total Carbohydrate 57.1g 19%
Dietary Fiber 3.3g 13%
Sugars 3.2g
Protein 35.4g 70%
Vitamin A 3221mcg 64%
Vitamin B6 0.6mg 28%
Vitamin B12 1.1mcg 18%
Vitamin C 8mg 14%
Vitamin E 1mcg 5%
Calcium 413mg 41%
Iron 3mg 21%

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:


None of the recipes posted on this site are mine, they are all taken from other sources, or given to me to try. I am not nearly creative enough or good enough in the kitchen to have come up with any of them.

I also cannot promise that any of these recipes are going to turn out good, or taste good for that matter, so you try them at your own risk.

Enjoy!!! Nancy
SmileyCentral.com