Welcome to my Blog!


I am so glad you stopped by. A couple of months ago I saw the movie Julie & Julia, where a young woman decides to take a year and make every recipe in Julia Child's French Cookbook. I enjoyed the movie very much and became intrigued. Maybe I could do something like that, so, I got out my barely used, 13 year old, Better Homes Cookbook and started flipping through. Thus began my cooking experiment.

Cooking is something I have always hated to do, it was a chore for me, not a pleasure. I am not a professional cook, and never will be, but the movie ignited a spark in me and revealed a new discovery, cooking can be fun!

I am learning that with patience, motivation, and good recipes anyone can be a good cook. Believe me, if I can do it, so can you! I hope you will experiment along with me and let me know what you think of the recipes I share.

I will post each new recipe I try along with a picture (I can't stand cookbooks that don't include pictures!) so you can see the final product. I will also share tips that I have learned along the way. For you seasoned chefs, the tips may seem like common sense, but for those of us who are dummies in the kitchen, they are epiphanies.

Happy Cooking!

Nancy

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Lasagna



Okay, I said none of these recipes are mine, but this one is at least partially mine. This was a family recipe passed down from my grandmother, but I made a couple of my own alterations. I love lasagna and this is my favorite lasagna recipe. It is easy, no frills, but really yummy.


I have never tried making this without cooking the noodles first, but last night I did. To my surprise it actually worked. You do not need to cook the noodles in advance, they were done to perfection at the end of the hour in the oven.


Ingredients:


1 lb ground pork (or beef)

1 16 ounce jar spaghetti sauce (I use Ragu Homestyle Traditional)

1 cup Ricotta

1 cup cottage cheese

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

2 cups shredded mozzarella

10 oven ready lasagna noodles


Directions:


Preheat oven to 425*


In a skillet brown ground pork. When cooked through, add jar of spaghetti sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.


In a bowl combine ricotta, cottage cheese, and Parmesan. Mix well.


Grease a 8x12 pan. Spread a fine layer of meat sauce on bottom. Cover with 5 lasagna noodles, layering as necessary. Cover the noodles with half of the cheese mixture. Spread half of the meat sauce over the cheese. Sprinkle 1 cup mozzarella over all. Repeat with a second layer of noodles, cheese, and meat sauce. Top with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.


Cover with two layers of tin foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.


Servings: 8

1 comment:

Disclaimer:


None of the recipes posted on this site are mine, they are all taken from other sources, or given to me to try. I am not nearly creative enough or good enough in the kitchen to have come up with any of them.

I also cannot promise that any of these recipes are going to turn out good, or taste good for that matter, so you try them at your own risk.

Enjoy!!! Nancy
SmileyCentral.com